Sunday, September 07, 2008

Interview

I remember a job interview with TNB. Although at first I thought it went very well, the more I thought about it the more I want to do it again. I think that I should have said things differently if I were given a second chance. The very first thing I would like to improve is the way I started the whole process. Instead of greeting everyone altogether, I would personally greet each one of them, ask their name and how they are doing while at the same time introducing myself. It would be very professional to shake hand and make eye contact while saying “Hi, How are you? My name is Buffer. And you are?” Then the way I speak, I am truly not being myself. For the first time I keep on mixing the two languages, English and Malay while communicating with them. My mind set is that I shall not speak any language other than Malay while speaking with Malays unless they really do not know the language. But the problem is that they ask me the question in English, so naturally I will begin my answer in English. But due to the nature that they are Malays and I am kind of nervous, I start speaking Malay and the mid point of our conversation. And so it goes, they would think that I always mix my language when speaking with others. One thing I learn is that I should be more relax and appear to be professional while answering their questions. I should stop and think before opening my mouth. If I don’t know the answer I shall beat around the bush while not going too far of the subject. The night before the interview, I should try to visualize the interview and prepare for any questions that would normally ask in an interview. Obviously their first question is to describe myself, my educational background in two minutes. Now that I have been through it, I know I should practice talking over and over again.

their 2 favorite questions
Tell us about your educational background.
What is the most challenging experience .. e.g during studying?

No comments: